By Dale Badenhorst – Junior Online Marketing Executive
Let’s face it, few places in South Africa has the iconic status that Sun City does and it’s not hard to see the reasons why! Sun City just has that charisma about it that gives even adults a childlike level of excitement. It’s best described as an oasis in the middle of nowhere and it’s a must visit for all.
In fact, even if you’ve already been there, Sun City has so much to offer that you can go back multiple times and experience something totally different each time.
Just before we look at some of the bucket list items you can tick off in and around Sun City, let’s just quickly discuss getting there. Sun City is an easy drive from Johannesburg. If you are not from Gauteng, then your best bet is to fly to OR Tambo International and then hire a car at the airport. It takes about 2.5 hours from the airport to drive to Sun City.
Here are five must do things in and around Sun City.
1. Sun City is located right next to Pilanesberg National Park, so you can use it as a base to go on a safari or game drive – as we call it in South Africa. You can expect to see the majority of the big and small game that South Africa has to offer.
2. One of the top things to do in Sun City is the Valley of Waves – Sun City’s very own water park. It’s the most popular of the Sun City activities for day visitors. Trust us, you will spend hours here!
3. Sun City is home to two 18-hole golf courses. One, behind the casino and Sun City Hotel, is a par 72 championship course (which hosts various pro golf tournaments) designed by Gary Player, who plays the course now and then himself. The other is the Lost City course which features a lake filled with crocodiles! Better bring spare balls – else the penalty for going into the water might be more than just one stroke.
4. En route to Sun City, why not stop at the UNESCO-listed Cradle of Humankind. See and learn about some of the oldest fossils and evidence of human life ever found in the world! It’s truly fascinating to experience this World Heritage site.
5. The casino! If trying your luck from time to time is your thing, then stop at one of the most famous casinos in South Africa is a must do. The impressive architecture is a sight to see on its own and will make you feel like you are playing Blackjack in a palace in the middle of the jungle, something straight out of movie scene!
I think we all can agree, lockdown has been tough. It’s been a long time since we were able to go out and experience new things. If you miss getting out, exploring and experiencing new and exciting things, why not plan your next quick escape to Sun City? Trust us, it will not disappoint!